Residential Surge Protection


Residential Surge Protection

Residential Surge Protection

As the experts at point out, “A power surge happens in milliseconds — a thousandth of the time it takes you to blink your eyes. Maybe you see the lights flicker, or your computer locks up for no apparent reason. Maybe you don’t notice anything at all.

But that little spike in the current flowing through the wires of your house can have big consequences.”

According to the Insurance Information Institute, insurance claims from power surges and lightning strikes combined totaled more than $1 billion in insured losses in 2008. The average claim was $4,329.

“There’s an easy and affordable way to steer clear of those kinds of losses,” HouseLogic reports. “They’re called whole-house surge protectors.”

And fortunately, Father and Son Electric Service Compan, one of the most trusted electricians in Charlotte, NC, is running a special on whole house surge protectors this month!

“Since power surges don’t present a fire hazard, protective devices aren’t required by building codes or homeowner’s insurance carriers,” explains. While not required, the website emphasizes that a host of organizations, ranging from the National Fire Protection Association to the Institute for Business and Home Safety, recommend using them.

“The good news is that protection is readily available, and even the top-of-the-line solutions are affordable,” reports. “A whole-house SPD can protect against up to 40,000 amps of current flowing into your home from the outside; normal household power is 200 to 300 amps. When a sudden surge occurs, such as from a lightning strike or damage to a power line, the device detects the excess current and safely diverts it through the house’s grounding path.”

If you’d like more information about whole house surge protection, contact Charlotte electricians Father and Son for a quote. You’ll get a great deal and an electrician free quote will be provided.

Looking for a quality and affordable electrician for your next project?